• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Mother have any legal rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emanguba

What is the name of your state? Texas

I bought a house for my mother 5 years ago...under certain circumstances, I need for her to vacate the property...The house is under my name...She is hiring a lawyer.

What rights does she have? And what rights do I have?

THX,
Evelyn

HomeGuru

emanguba said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I bought a house for my mother 5 years ago...under certain circumstances, I need for her to vacate the property...The house is under my name...She is hiring a lawyer.

What rights does she have? And what rights do I have?

THX,
Evelyn
**A; your post is too general, broad and ambiguous for us to help you.
What does "under certain circumstances mean?"
What are the specifics in this matter. What the agreement between the parties before the transaction? Was it in writing? Did Mom pay any monies for downpayment, repair and maint, real property taxes, insurance, rent, mortgage payment etc.?
Is Mom on the mortgage loan?

Just exacty what was the deal?

E

emanguba

Here are some explanations:

"under certain circumstances" means that it's time for her and my brother to go elsewhere...I will no longer be providing shelter for them.

The only agreement was made verbally...basically, my brother makes a deposit of the mortgage amount into my account at the beginning of the month...he's been doing this for about 6 months...

My husband and myself no longer live there as of Dec of last year...because of disagreements, we had verbally agreed that my brother would pay the expenses.

Before then, I paid for everything since the purchase of the house in 1997.

Nothing of this arrangement is in writing...

Down payment and any other monies was provided by myself...this past year was the only time that my brother paid for the property tax, school tax, and insurance...

Mom is not on the loan, nor my brother...I am the only person on the loan.

Is there something I left out?

Please advise.....thx.

HomeGuru

emanguba said:
Here are some explanations:

"under certain circumstances" means that it's time for her and my brother to go elsewhere...I will no longer be providing shelter for them.

The only agreement was made verbally...basically, my brother makes a deposit of the mortgage amount into my account at the beginning of the month...he's been doing this for about 6 months...

My husband and myself no longer live there as of Dec of last year...because of disagreements, we had verbally agreed that my brother would pay the expenses.

Before then, I paid for everything since the purchase of the house in 1997.

Nothing of this arrangement is in writing...

**A: then Mother and brother are tenants paying rent in the same amount equal to your monthly mortgage payment.
In the event that the mortgage payment is much higher than market value rent based on rental comps, and they made payments of property owner expenses, they could make a claim for equity interest in the property.

Down payment and any other monies was provided by myself...this past year was the only time that my brother paid for the property tax, school tax, and insurance...

**A: see above as taxes and insurance are property owner expenses and not tenant related expenses.
Mom is not on the loan, nor my brother...I am the only person on the loan.

Is there something I left out?

Please advise.....thx.
**A: was the verbal agreement that Mother and brother rent your property as tenants?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">