• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does my X need to sign a release?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theone

I recently found out that I had a mechanics lein on my 1 acre lot. It was from an attempt to build a home on it back in 1996. Charge for soil sample.. Anyway the contract was under myself and my x-spouse. The land however was bought and paid for before we were married. I have no problem paying the fee to have the mechanics lein taken off, but my question is..... Does my x have to sign a release to have the land put back on my name or do they do that automatically?

Thanks
Abel

Texas

seniorjudge

Theone said:
I recently found out that I had a mechanics lein on my 1 acre lot. It was from an attempt to build a home on it back in 1996. Charge for soil sample.. Anyway the contract was under myself and my x-spouse. The land however was bought and paid for before we were married. I have no problem paying the fee to have the mechanics lein taken off, but my question is..... Does my x have to sign a release to have the land put back on my name or do they do that automatically?

Thanks
Abel

Texas
The person or person who filed the mechanic's lien must sign the release.

seniorjudge

Theone said:
will they release it to me only or both me and my x?
A release of a mechanic's lien does not release "to" anyone; the release says that the person who has the right to the lien will no longer go after the land.

Theone

Thanks

OK, that explains allot. Thanks for your reply. This is a very informative forum., I'm sticking around for this one! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">