• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a Quitclaim Deed relieve liability of original owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

georgiacathy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia - Time share is in South Carolina.

My father owns timeshare in South Carolina and has my brother and sister on the time share as additional owners so that they could benefit from the free golf. The maintenance fees on the time share are outrageous and noone uses it any more. We've tried to sell the time share as well as donate it to charity. We can't even give it away. I don't believe the timeshare ownership would allow us to Quitclaim deed it back to them.

My brother is getting ready to file bankrupty and we were wondering if, since he's listed as an owner anyway, we could do a Quitclaim Deed to remove my sister and father from the deed and just have it in my brother's name. He would then be responsible for the maintenance and would just relinquish the property in his bankruptsy disposition. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

FlyingRon

Generally the deeds or right to use contracts on your timeshare restrict any sort of dodge like this. If you really need out, you need to take the documents to a lawyer to figure out what your options are.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia - Time share is in South Carolina.

My father owns timeshare in South Carolina and has my brother and sister on the time share as additional owners so that they could benefit from the free golf. The maintenance fees on the time share are outrageous and noone uses it any more. We've tried to sell the time share as well as donate it to charity. We can't even give it away. I don't believe the timeshare ownership would allow us to Quitclaim deed it back to them.

My brother is getting ready to file bankrupty and we were wondering if, since he's listed as an owner anyway, we could do a Quitclaim Deed to remove my sister and father from the deed and just have it in my brother's name. He would then be responsible for the maintenance and would just relinquish the property in his bankruptsy disposition. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you.
**A: what you propose may be labeled as BK fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">