• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

donating share to charity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peachiekins

What is the name of your state? I live in Tennessee--inherted property is in Georgia

I inherited a share of my parents house. I really want to end connection with sister and step mother, its starting to get ugly. :( If I can't find someone who will buy it (maybe an investment company might be interested?), then, might I consider giving it to charity? just a thought. wasn't sure if they would be interested in a fractional share, or if it has to be a complete whole property? I think I would rate a tax "write off". and sister and step mother might would rather buy me out than to have any 'outsiders' involved. thanks in advance! **I could hold out til the end but as I stated, its starting to get ugly. I would just like to bow out of this now--if theres a way I can.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

That's "write off" by the way. You'll need to consult a tax advisor as to how beneficial such a donation might be to you.

You can always renounce your inheritance (or just give it to the other heirs) with little impact to you.

People are generally unwilling to buy fractional shares of houses. There's no liquidity in that and they don't produce income so what? Churches and perhaps other charities might be amenable as they are willing to wait a long time (for the other owners to sell or die)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">