• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dower rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trish91870

What is the name of your state? Ohio

When my husband and I built our home, we placed the loan in his name. In order to do so M/I financial (also the builder) required me to sign over my dower rights in the open end mortgage papers. Since then, the mortgage has been sold to two different mortgage companies. I would like to know if signing over my dower rights actually means that if he should pass away, will I not have any rights to the house. Also, with the loan being sold twice, did the signing away of my dower rights, void itself with transfers to the new mortgage companies. And one more question, if I am added to the deed and/or the will does that make a difference as well. I do not know what part Ohio plays in with all this being a "community" state (1/2 goes to Spouse in divorce or death).

Thanks for any response given.

HomeGuru

trish91870 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

When my husband and I built our home, we placed the loan in his name. In order to do so M/I financial (also the builder) required me to sign over my dower rights in the open end mortgage papers. Since then, the mortgage has been sold to two different mortgage companies. I would like to know if signing over my dower rights actually means that if he should pass away, will I not have any rights to the house.

**A: yes, you signed your rights away.

Also, with the loan being sold twice, did the signing away of my dower rights, void itself with transfers to the new mortgage companies.

**A: no, the deed remains the same.
And one more question, if I am added to the deed and/or the will does that make a difference as well.

**A: yes it does because then you have interest in the property via will or deed.
I do not know what part Ohio plays in with all this being a "community" state (1/2 goes to Spouse in divorce or death).

Thanks for any response given.

**A: consult with an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">