• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dower rights for spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnbonz

What is the name of your state? Mishigan

If I bought a house 4 years prior to marriage and have my name soley on title. I marry and she moves in. I then go to re-finance but am told my wife needs to sign on title or to waive dower rights. So if she sign her name on mortgage and then in event of divorce what is she entitled to? What if she signs the waiving of Dower Rights, what then is she entitled to? All I am concerned about is to protect what I had going in and divide 50/50 from time of marriage. Is a purchased home prior to marriage considered personal property or community property?

HomeGuru

johnbonz said:
What is the name of your state? Mishigan

If I bought a house 4 years prior to marriage and have my name soley on title. I marry and she moves in. I then go to re-finance but am told my wife needs to sign on title or to waive dower rights. So if she sign her name on mortgage and then in event of divorce what is she entitled to?

**A: signing on title and waiving dower rights has nothing to do with the mortgage.

What if she signs the waiving of Dower Rights, what then is she entitled to?

**A: nothing.

All I am concerned about is to protect what I had going in and divide 50/50 from time of marriage. Is a purchased home prior to marriage considered personal property or community property?

**A: please seek advice from an attorney. You seem to be gettting confused with terms such as title, mortgage, personal and real property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">