• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dowry rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fennella

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband and I sold our home and his mother sold her home to move into a larger home so that he and I would be there to help take care of her.

She told my husband and I that she would purchase the home with the understanding that the house would go to my husband in the event of her death. She said she did not want him to put the money from the sale of our house into buying the new house. The house was put in her and my husband's names only. She did not want my name on the deed.

After a year of living together, she decided that she didn't like living in the house because it was too far away from her friends and she said she was putting the house up for sale. She informed us that she was taking the money from the sale of the house and giving it to her great grand daugher ( who is seven years old).

My husband has had a strained relationship with his mother over the years and is willing to walk away from his half of the money. I was informed a day ago that I, too, have to sign off on the house in order for it to sell. It is something called "Dowry Rights".

My questions is: Am I entitled to any money from the sale of the house under the dowry right? I did not invest my own money into the purchase of the home, but we only sold our home because my mother-in-law told us that she wanted us to live with her and take care of her and that the home would be ours in years to come.

I appreciate your input to this question.

Thank You.

S

seniorjudge

"I was informed a day ago that I, too, have to sign off on the house in order for it to sell. It is something called "Dowry Rights".
My questions is: Am I entitled to any money from the sale of the house under the dowry right?"

Connect the dots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">