• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driveway easement problems with neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seasky

washington - i purchased and live in a home in seattle, wa. the only access to my residence is a driveway that cuts across my neighbor's property. my property is directly behind their's on a hillside. access easement has been granted. the driveway accesses only my property.
my neighbors continue to walk up the driveway. the only apparent reason for them to use the driveway is to harrass me when i'm maintaining the driveway or my adjacent yard. they are continually reminding me it's their property. i've made it clear to them i don't want them up my driveway and that the harrassment needs to stop. obviously we don't get along.
my questions: are they tresspassing? can i restrict their use of the driveway? do i need to get a restraining order to do so?

FarmerJ

The land that the drive way is on all the way up to the property lot line where it changes to your property is still there land . even with you having a easement through theire property . Your easement doesnt mean you can change anything on the land that you use to access yours . But they can do what they want to on their on land including walking up and down the drive way they just cannot come up into your property on your side of lot line with out reason . So since you are going to the trouble of maintaining the easement Im guessing that means mowing any grass / weed removal / snow removal and are not making any major changes to land that you dont own . You could try having a nice conversation with them instead . Be polite but state you are aware it is a easement on land thats not yours . But that your only trying to keep weeds down etc on the part that you do use . ( they might be reminding you of there ownership of the easement that you have through there land because they are afraid you might make permanent improvement or big alterations without consent .)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">