• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

due on sale clause in mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carvednstone

I want to sell my home to my nephew on a land contract. My mortgage has a due on sale clause & they won't give me written permission to sell. I heard that federal law prohibits them from enforcing the due on sale clause if I am selling to a family member. Is this true? Does local laws overide this, if any? And what is defined as a family member? I would like to go through with this sale. I am in Michigan

HomeGuru

carvednstone said:
I want to sell my home to my nephew on a land contract. My mortgage has a due on sale clause & they won't give me written permission to sell. I heard that federal law prohibits them from enforcing the due on sale clause if I am selling to a family member. Is this true?

**A: no.
Does local laws overide this, if any?
**A: no.
And what is defined as a family member?
**A: by whose definition, City, County, State, Federal...?

I would like to go through with this sale. I am in Michigan
**A: why not refinance the loan with you and nephew as co-borrowers? Do a rate and term loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">