• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Duped by Fraud in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

7 Months ago a relitive ask if I would co-sign on an appartment, I said yes if it wasn't too much. I then filled out an appplication. I then found out it would be more money, I then said no way! Since I never signed a lease I assumed I was out of it. Now the apartment complex has sent me a bill for $1600.00. I found out that the relitive had forged my signiture without me knowing on the apartment I need to know am I lible for that? They are in process of sueing me! And do I have to press charges to get results. I do not wish to cause trouble with my family Please respond.. Duped In Georgia. Thank you

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited July 06, 2000).]

T

Tracey

Write them back (certified, return receipt) & tell them that you never co-signed the lease & are not liable under it. Include a copy of the police report you're going to file against your relative today for forgery. (You must file a complaint if you want a judge to believe your defense of forgery.)

Claiming forgery forces L to prove that YOU actually signed the lease. Do not sign the letter you send L -- no need to give L a free copy of your signature that they can argue looks just like the one on the contract!

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

L

loudrich

I have an even BETTER idea.......

Since you cant read or write well, tell them you are ILLITERATE......

Show them you can't read or write too good, and maybe a Judge will feel sorry for you.

-------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
7 Months ago a relitive ask if I would cosing on an appartment, I said yes if it wasn't too much. I then filled out an appplication. I then found out it would be more money, I then said no way! Since I never signed a lease I assumed I was out of it. Now the apartment complex has sent me a bill for $1600.00. I found out that the relitive had forged my signiture without me knowing on the apartment I need to know am I lible for that? They are fixing to sue me! Please respond.. Duped In Georgia. Thank you<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
7 Months ago a relitive ask if I would co-sign on an appartment, I said yes if it wasn't too much. I then filled out an appplication. I then found out it would be more money, I then said no way! Since I never signed a lease I assumed I was out of it. Now the apartment complex has sent me a bill for $1600.00. I found out that the relitive had forged my signiture without me knowing on the apartment I need to know am I lible for that? They are in process of sueing me! And do I have to press charges to get results. I do not wish to cause trouble with my family Please respond.. Duped In Georgia. Thank you

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited July 06, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do not wish to cause trouble pay the $1600 and be liable for the lease. Otherwise you must file a forgery complaint against your nice relative to defend yourself against the landlords claim. Have a talk with this person and make them admit to the landlord their dirty deeds and accept full responsibility for their actions. Otherwise, tell this person you may will visit them on occasion in Federal prison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">