• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earnest Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cgauntt

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Arizona

We applied for a house to lease we were told to include a 500.00 earnest amount with the application. We did with a post dated check for May15th. They accepted our application and were told to bring in a cashiers check for 1650.00 for the full deposite on or by May 15th. We asked at the signing about the earnest money already paid. She stated that her company did not accept checks and that the full 1650.00 needed paid by cashiers check and she would return our 500.00. On may 17th the 500.00 cleared my account.She did not return it at as promised but deposited it. On May 20th when I was made aware of this I had to get a Direct Deposite advance to cover additional bills to be paid. This was a 100.00 fee to do this. I have tried to get my money back and they have stated they will refund my 500.00 and the the additional will come out of the realtors commission. We have had numerous problems with this realtor and have threatened with the Board of Realtors. They said If I continue with any futher complaints with the BBB or Real Estate Board they will slap me with a law suit saying I did something illegal by post dateing a check. Mind you the check cleared. I have spoken with my bank on the issue and they know of no law about post dating checks. The real estate firm states I wrote a check without the funds available. This is not totally true. I wrote the check to hold the property per their request. If they would have depoited it early I would of had to do the same thing get a direct deposte to cover any additional monthy expenses. Please help. I want to follow through with the board of realtors against them for other viaolations on their codes of honor.

HomeGuru

cgauntt said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Arizona

We applied for a house to lease we were told to include a 500.00 earnest amount with the application. We did with a post dated check for May15th. They accepted our application and were told to bring in a cashiers check for 1650.00 for the full deposite on or by May 15th. We asked at the signing about the earnest money already paid. She stated that her company did not accept checks and that the full 1650.00 needed paid by cashiers check and she would return our 500.00. On may 17th the 500.00 cleared my account.She did not return it at as promised but deposited it. On May 20th when I was made aware of this I had to get a Direct Deposite advance to cover additional bills to be paid. This was a 100.00 fee to do this. I have tried to get my money back and they have stated they will refund my 500.00 and the the additional will come out of the realtors commission. We have had numerous problems with this realtor and have threatened with the Board of Realtors. They said If I continue with any futher complaints with the BBB or Real Estate Board they will slap me with a law suit saying I did something illegal by post dateing a check. Mind you the check cleared. I have spoken with my bank on the issue and they know of no law about post dating checks. The real estate firm states I wrote a check without the funds available. This is not totally true. I wrote the check to hold the property per their request. If they would have depoited it early I would of had to do the same thing get a direct deposte to cover any additional monthy expenses. Please help. I want to follow through with the board of realtors against them for other viaolations on their codes of honor.

**A: please post in the Landlord Tenant forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">