• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EARNEST MONEY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SUSAN&CHRIS

HI! WE LIVE IN AZ. IN 5/99 WE GAVE OUR BUILDER $7,500 AS EARNEST MONEY & SIGNED A NON-REFUNDABLE ADDENDUM STATING "ALL EARNEST MONEY IS NON-REFUNDABLE TO BUYER" ALONG WITH THE USUAL NEW HOME PAPERS. WE WERE PRE-QUALIFIED FOR THE LOAN, AS LONG AS WE MET THE CONDITIONAL STIPS, I.E. INCOME. MY HUSBAND'S INCOME, WHICH IS MOSTLY COMMISSION, WENT DOWN DRASTICALLY IN '99. I WENT BACK TO WORK TO TRY TO BRING UP OUR STATED INCOME FOR '99. THE MTG. CO. WITH WHOM THE BUILDER USES TURNED US DOWN, BUT FOUND, AS A BROKER OTHER FINANCING, WITH A MUCH HIGHER PAYMENT. WE STILL HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT OUR APPROVAL, HOWEVER THE BUILDER WANTS US TO CLOSE WITHIN 7 DAYS! WE CANNOT AFFORD THE NEW PYMT THE MTG CO. QUOTED THAT IT MAY BE--IT'S $200+ OVER THE PREV. STATED PAYMENT. CAN THE BUILDER STILL KEEP OUR $7,500 EVEN THOUGH, THROUGH NO FAULT OF OURS, OUR INCOME IS LESS, AND THE PAYMENT WILL BE MORE. AS I SAID, WE STILL HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED IN WRITING--YET OUR WALK-THROUGH WAS TO TAKE PLACE ON 1/10/00. WE DID NOT ATTEND AS WE HAD NOT BEEN NOTIFIED OF BEING APPROVED. THE BUILLDER KNOWS THIS, YET SENT US A REGISTERED LETTER STATING THAT WE HAVE 7 DAYS TO CLOSE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR EXPERT ADVICE!

SUSAN&CHRIS

ALawyer

While this is NOT expert advice, as only a lawyer in Arizona could give that, and I am not an Arizona lawyer, it really depends on exactly what the papers that you signed say.

You should always have a professional review them FIRST and while you didn't do that, go to a good real estate lawyer now (check out attorneypages.com) and get some specific guidance. It is a lot cheaper that losing the $7500. Also, once a lawyer gets involved the other parties are far less likely to take advantage of you, and the lawyer can write a "lawyer's letter" etc.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">