• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelpel1220

I am the Pres of a Home Owners Assoc. We have an easement that runs thru the neighborhood, in Pennsylvania. The use of the easement is a trail for horseback riding. The easement is overgrown and has not been used in about 20 years. My question: is this still an easement even though it has not been used for quite sometime and can it be used agin for the same purpose as it was created? Do easements expire if not used in 20 years? Thank you.

N

NoJustice

Removal of Easement

Home Guru:

Isn't there some way an easement that is no longer used, after a fairly long period of time, be removed??

Nomads4fun

HomeGuru

Re: Removal of Easement

Nomads4fun said:
Home Guru:

Isn't there some way an easement that is no longer used, after a fairly long period of time, be removed??

Nomads4fun
My response: it is not automatic because of the recordation of the easement on title unless the easement specifically states a termination date. To remove an easement, the grantor must approve or the matter must be adjudicated by the Courts. Without a voluntary removal or Court directive. Even if the easement has been abandoned for many years, the easement would still be legally on title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">