• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement to property I want to buy disapears on one property then reappears, normal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qcliffy

Indiana
I put in an offer and was accepted to buy 12 acres at the end of a lane. Friend who worked on title found out the "lane" to the property disappeared through one property owners land and then reappeared and extended to the acreage. Seller's agent has asked for 2 extensions now, stating easement simply needed to be "executed". Full of bull? Assessor's website verifies that the lane is there and shows the absence on the one property, about 100' and then continues to the property line of the acreage. I'm tired of signing extensions for a property that may be "landlocked" when I could be looking at other properties to buy. Suggestions?

justalayman

what is on the assessors website is not legally dependable regarding this issue.

your friend; are they actually qualified to do a title search? When you say it disappeared, I presume you mean there is not easement registered as being on that section of land. If so, does your friend realize that there does not need to be a description of the easement on deeds as the property is transferred as long as other means of giving notice of the easement are?

LdiJ

Indiana
I put in an offer and was accepted to buy 12 acres at the end of a lane. Friend who worked on title found out the "lane" to the property disappeared through one property owners land and then reappeared and extended to the acreage. Seller's agent has asked for 2 extensions now, stating easement simply needed to be "executed". Full of bull? Assessor's website verifies that the lane is there and shows the absence on the one property, about 100' and then continues to the property line of the acreage. I'm tired of signing extensions for a property that may be "landlocked" when I could be looking at other properties to buy. Suggestions?
Don't buy the property unless the seller can provide you a clear and unambiguous easement. Its that simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">