• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gwenzel

I live in a semi-rural, unincorporated part of Washington State (Near Everett in Snohomish County)

I own and live in a house at the end of a long multifamily private gravel driveway. There is an easements across several lots to reach my house (owned by the local PUD?). In general, each neighber contributes to the maintainance of the driveway and until recently we have gotten along fine.

Two weeks ago, one of my neighbor put up a very obnoxious speed bump. I have hit the bottom of my car (at 5mph) several times on it. I have told him that I do not like the bump and asked him to remove it. He has refused and claims that he has the right to limit traffic speed down the driveway. I removed the bump and he claimed that I had no right to disturb "his" property. He immediately replaced the bump.

What rights do I have to make him remove the bump?

If he has the right to install the bump, what are the regulations for height, depth, etc. of the speed bump that he must meet so that he does not hinder my access to my house?

Where can I get more information on what my rights are?

HomeGuru

gwenzel said:
I live in a semi-rural, unincorporated part of Washington State (Near Everett in Snohomish County)

I own and live in a house at the end of a long multifamily private gravel driveway. There is an easements across several lots to reach my house (owned by the local PUD?). In general, each neighber contributes to the maintainance of the driveway and until recently we have gotten along fine.

Two weeks ago, one of my neighbor put up a very obnoxious speed bump. I have hit the bottom of my car (at 5mph) several times on it. I have told him that I do not like the bump and asked him to remove it. He has refused and claims that he has the right to limit traffic speed down the driveway. I removed the bump and he claimed that I had no right to disturb "his" property. He immediately replaced the bump.

What rights do I have to make him remove the bump?

If he has the right to install the bump, what are the regulations for height, depth, etc. of the speed bump that he must meet so that he does not hinder my access to my house?

Where can I get more information on what my rights are?
**A: because the driveway is private, look to see what agreements are recorded on title and also check with the owner/HOA. Absent specifc agreement, the issue must be mediated or litigated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">