• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement rights.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cliffsir

I live in Forney Texas. I and my closest neighbor have lived here on our property for 13 years. Last month a home builder purchased the property that is behind our two parts of land. The easement to our land is listed as 30' across the front of 6 other parts of property. The road that has been here since about 1956 is only 15 feet wide with the power company on one side and the water on the other. To access the New owners land he has to come down the road for about 2200' across 7 parts of property and then after making a right hand turn he is going across another part of property for 255' into his property. The new owner is a Home builder and is having two families of his employees live on the property so he can store his equipment there.
The problem we are having is the road. He is trying to tell us that because there is a 30' easement with only a 15' road he is going to widen the road to 30' and there is nothing we can do. Just tonight he has started to remove fencing that is in his way. He tells us he can not get his trucks down the road so he will be doing this without our permission.
Is he right about what he is saying? I dont think he can just come in and remove 15' of someones front lawn just because there is an easement.
Any suggestions on how to go about handling this?

FarmerJ

talk with a lawyer right away. Having easement doesnt mean he has right to change someone elses land at all . Take photos of the easement today . if a 15 ft wide road isnt wide enough for him TOO BAD file lawsuit if he changes anything . BTW what does the water company have to say about some one building a road over there lines ? . Where you live that water line cant be very deep .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">