• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

easements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Horst

I live in California USA, on a private road. Both my neighbor and I (he only has a lot no home yet) had to give the county 25 ft of property along the entire road way. About 200 feet long. This was for a public rite of way. This is a gravel road that we must maintain and it dead ends at our property. At first I had lots problems with litter, people stealing trees for firewood, kids partying etc. In 1996 I put up a heavy steel gate and kept it locked for the first three years, then the county said it must stay unlocked. It has been over 5 years sice I put up the gate. I pay the taxes on the property and have used this gate monthly or more. Do I have a valid precriptive easement? I want to keep this gate locked again. Only my neighbor and I would have keys.
Thanks Horst

HomeGuru

Horst said:
I live in California USA, on a private road. Both my neighbor and I (he only has a lot no home yet) had to give the county 25 ft of property along the entire road way. About 200 feet long. This was for a public rite of way. This is a gravel road that we must maintain and it dead ends at our property. At first I had lots problems with litter, people stealing trees for firewood, kids partying etc. In 1996 I put up a heavy steel gate and kept it locked for the first three years, then the county said it must stay unlocked. It has been over 5 years sice I put up the gate. I pay the taxes on the property and have used this gate monthly or more. Do I have a valid precriptive easement? I want to keep this gate locked again. Only my neighbor and I would have keys.
Thanks Horst
My response: easement to what? If you are talking an easment on County property, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">