• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easements and Road Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SusanLynn

Grandfather gave use of easement to people who bought property from him. They use a road (easement) to access their homes. Road has no name. Grandchildren want to name this road, people who use road feel they have the right to name the road as well. Grand children also own property and feel that it is their sole right to name this road. People who have been using easement have not paid any taxes on this road or any upkeep. Who has the right to name the road?:

A

A Smiley

I am not a lawyer; however, if I paid the taxes and shoveled the snow, I would put up a road sign with whatever name I chose. Apparently, the road has not been deeded to the county, so I suspect that they could care less (but check anyway). Also, if the road currently has no name, it must be of no consequence to the U.S. Post Office insofar as assignment of addresses is concerned.
(Check there, too.)

If the local bureaucrats don't object, then just do it. Signs are cheap -- and decisive action usually trumps the complainers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">