• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emminent domain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chester

I have been "asked", now for the third time, by my town's mayor to sell my house/property. It is in a commercial location and the town would like it to be used for a future parking lot. I am willing to sell, but want to get a fair price since past offers have been fairly good. How do I go about getting a market value on the property if I only intend to sell it to a government entity? Any advice? (I don't want this to get nasty.)

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, well this would not be eminent domain, yet. That is when the government takes your property and must pay you for the value.

Now, if you can show fair market value for it (and maybe show you have other offers) in a nice cordial business like manner with a nice looking professional bid portfolio, maybe you will get what you are asking for.

Contact your state bar and ask to speak to someone there. Sometimes if you are persistent enough, you may be able to get free advice. Just make sure you have a pen in hand. : - )

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">