• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Empty/Vandalized Home - Listed owner has no knowledge of ownership...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Niree1978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida There is an empty house that has been vacant for at least 2 years. I looked the property up online at our property appraiser's website, found that it is bank owned and has been since 04/2010. The property has been vandalized and I called the listed owner, the bank, who then tells me that they can't find the property in their system. The deed path shows that it was bought by said bank from the Sec of Veteran Affairs and no entries have since been provided. The tax assessor's office has the same bank listed as owner but the taxes haven't been paid since 2009. I can't afford to pay the $4721 but am wondering if there is some way to legally acquire the property?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida There is an empty house that has been vacant for at least 2 years. I looked the property up online at our property appraiser's website, found that it is bank owned and has been since 04/2010. The property has been vandalized and I called the listed owner, the bank, who then tells me that they can't find the property in their system. The deed path shows that it was bought by said bank from the Sec of Veteran Affairs and no entries have since been provided. The tax assessor's office has the same bank listed as owner but the taxes haven't been paid since 2009. I can't afford to pay the $4721 but am wondering if there is some way to legally acquire the property?
Buy it from the owner. Just because it's not "in their system" doesn't mean it's not theirs.

FarmerJ

Banks and the paperless nightmare. Your free to send to the recorded owner a letter expressing interest in buying it , Your free to learn if your city ever takes property with un paid taxes and offers to sell it to a neighbor with the goal of the house on it being torn down and the property being combined into one parcel in order to create larger lots, open up the hood and get eyesore, nuisance PITA property in the city limits off the citys back so to speak , If your state allows for property tax liens by the public and thats the way you want to go id suggest doing it. It is not likely that your city is going to tear down the house and split the lot between you and a neighbor, theres just too dang many abandoned homes now for any city to justify the tear down cost and just give it to adjacent property owners.

Niree1978

I don't live near this house, it's just located on the route I travel to and from my daughter's school. It's such a cute house from the outside and the yard has been overgrown since the first time I ever noticed it. The deed says it was bought by this bank for $100 in 2010 but sometime since then vandals have busted in the glass on the back door, removed the refrigerator, a/c unit, and the copper pipes from the bathroom walls. And most of the drywall around the outlets is damaged from where they pulled out the wiring. We do have laws here that state something along the lines of if you pay the property taxes for 6 years, you can petition to own the property. I just can't afford to pay all of that out of pocket and getting a loan wouldn't be worth it if there was a possibility that I won't get the house anyway. Any ideas?

Zigner

I don't live near this house, it's just located on the route I travel to and from my daughter's school. It's such a cute house from the outside and the yard has been overgrown since the first time I ever noticed it. The deed says it was bought by this bank for $100 in 2010 but sometime since then vandals have busted in the glass on the back door, removed the refrigerator, a/c unit, and the copper pipes from the bathroom walls. And most of the drywall around the outlets is damaged from where they pulled out the wiring. We do have laws here that state something along the lines of if you pay the property taxes for 6 years, you can petition to own the property. I just can't afford to pay all of that out of pocket and getting a loan wouldn't be worth it if there was a possibility that I won't get the house anyway. Any ideas?
It's not quite that simple. Besides, you can't afford the house anyway

Niree1978

you can't afford the house anyway
I can't AFFORD to pay out of pocket for $4000+ in back taxes out of pocket, and I can't AFFORD to get a loan to pay off the taxes when the possibility remains that the house may not become mine. If there was a home loan that was available to me, that would be something different entirely so I'm confused by your statement.

Zigner

I can't AFFORD to pay out of pocket for $4000+ in back taxes out of pocket, and I can't AFFORD to get a loan to pay off the taxes when the possibility remains that the house may not become mine. If there was a home loan that was available to me, that would be something different entirely so I'm confused by your statement.
No normal lender is going to provide a loan for a property that is in the condition that you have described (wiring torn out, etc.)

xylene

You have to purchase the house AND pay the taxes.

The owner is not selling.

If you want to force a sale, you would need to hire lawyer, and an ugly abandoned house on your commute is not standing to force a sale to you.

You are talking about a project that would cost you more than just the back taxes.

If you are serious about this, getting a second house, save up 50 grand or so. I'm not being cynical

If you can't do that right now, you can't afford a second property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">