• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

encroachment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vicki Mildenste

What is the name of your state? Iowa
Recently my husband constructed a wooden and trellis fence to hide garden items and compost. Behind this fence he constructed a shade house for growing orchids. It is nothing more than a stick frame covered with trellis.
My neighbor saw this about a week ago and informed me that part of the shade house is on her property. She said it made no difference to her but wanted us to know.
Unfortunately, she and husband are into a nasty divorce and the real estate agent has told her that this is an encroachment and is presenting a problem with selling the house as ALL! agents have been informed about this encroachment. She wants me to move the shade house.
It is encroaching by only 6" wide and 8' long. There is a chain link fence and large shrubs planted on their side of the fence. Meaning that if anyone wants access to the 2 1/2 ft. on our side of the fence, they have to tear out shrubs and fence.
I have approached her regarding an agreement saying that the land is theirs and always will be an I understand my little shade house is on it.
She replies that's no good as agents are approaching this as a major problem.
The house has been listed since March. No Offers!
This was not disclosed to me at the time of our puchase.
Thanks,
Vicki

FarmerJ

Vicki oral agreements are worth the wind they are written on Your nbr may have had the best of intentions by allowing you to use that bit of her property But Go and make plans to move it so its on your property only . Otherwise your nbr can and might just have to take you to court . (some day you could be in her shoes )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">