• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Encumbrance Due to Tree Removal by Prior Owner (Dallas)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

webwarmiller

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I recently purchased a tract of land within the city of Dallas and have just discovered that there is an encumbrance on the tract due to the prior owner having removed a large number of trees without a permit. In order to build on this lot I will need to plant the equivalent of 176 caliper inches at some other location (that's a LOT of trees). This is an encumbrance on the lot placed by the city of Dallas itself. Having spoken with the city, we know for a fact that the prior owner was made aware of this encumbrance when he attempted to replat the property years ago.

The contract states the below:
Seller's disclosures: Except as otherwise disclosed in the contract, Seller has no knowledge of the following.
1. any flooding of the Property;
2. any pending or threatened litigation, condemnation, or special assessment affecting the Property;
3. any environmental hazards or conditions affecting the Property
4. any dumpsite, landfill, or underground tanks or containers now or previously located on the Property;
5. any threatened or endangered species or their habitat affecting the Property.

So I have 2 questions:
1. Do I have a legal claim against the seller for not disclosing this encumbrance?
2. Do I have a claim against the Title company for not discovering this encumbrance?

Thanks to all that can help me with this matter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">