• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Energy star issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCDude

I purchased a home in NC more than a year back. Seller advertised and provided the home is going to be a energy star certified with HERS rating and comfort guaranteed. My family and I suffered more than enough discomfort and exceeded the saturation point, especially during the peak winter and summer. The following problems were discovered and and some of resolutions yet to be done but they just ignoring. Would greatly appreciate for an advice and what action can be taken here.

1. Complete miss of roof insulation in one section of the roof: Building took more than year to resolve the issue despite raising discomfort issues.
2. Door strips were completely missed. Blowing cold and wind draft through the doors. Builder took several months to address despite raising a concern.
3. Wind or chill blowing from the fireplace area: Builder took several months to address despite raising a concern.
4. HVAC condensate pipes were not insulated correctly and HVAC stopped it completely during the peak winter time. Builder blames it is a code issue not actually their issue. HVAC Manufacturer recommended the condensate pipes should be insulated in unconditioned space. Builder is simply ignoring stating they need not follow any such recommendation.

I feel these issues looks like more of a fraudulent and unethical marketing practices in addition to the warranty. Kindly advice

FarmerJ

It didn't sound like brand a brand new home problem until you used word builder, I suggest you carefully review all the documents related to buying the home to see if they wrote into the contract that you cant sue but must use arbitration. If you cant find that then Id suggest you take your documents to a real estate atty or one who has construction defect related experience (? ) and have her/him review every thing and help you figure out what your best options are. I suggest this may be way too hard for a internet board to give you very specific advice.

NCDude

It didn't sound like brand a brand new home problem until you used word builder, I suggest you carefully review all the documents related to buying the home to see if they wrote into the contract that you cant sue but must use arbitration. If you cant find that then Id suggest you take your documents to a real estate atty or one who has construction defect related experience (? ) and have her/him review every thing and help you figure out what your best options are. I suggest this may be way too hard for a internet board to give you very specific advice.
FarmerJ, Thank you very much for your response. The home is a brand new home. Yes the builder stated the warranty related concerns should be addressed via the mediation or arbitration through AAA. However one of the serious issue happens to be a negligence caused by the builder and lead us to the major discomfort issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">