• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Entitled to reimbursement for improvements prior to co-tenancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moecanplay

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My grandmother quit claimed a house with land to my father, aunt and uncle (3 equal shares) in 1995. My uncle lived on this land for several years prior to the quit claim (when grandmother still owned it) and built a pole barn and did some maintenance work on the house totaling (he claims) approx. $60,000.
Grandmother died in 2002. Long story short, after trying to divide the house/land amongst the 3 of them, it was decided unanimously to sell the entire estate. My uncle claims he is entitled to the first $60,000 from the sale as reimbursement for his pole barn/maintenance over the years and the rest of the money to be divided 3 ways. My father and aunt got legal advice and were assured that my uncle has no grounds for the reimbursement as it was all done prior to the co-tenancy therefore in reality my grandmother owned all improvements/maintenance. My uncle claims his lawyer said he has a good case (kept all receipts, verbal claim from grandmother that the pole barn would always be his though nothing is in writing). My father and aunt were aware of no such arrangements and desire an equal 3 way split. Does my uncle have any grounds to be entitled to a reimbursement? Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">