• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equity Protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carol Goode

my Florida home mortgage will be paid off in 5 years. should my death precede ownership, how can I protect my investment so my grown children can benefit? please advise?

vrzirn

You already own it, except for that wee bit that belongs to the bank. Go see a nice attorney, make a Living Trust and have all your assets transferred into the trust. Also make a will and distribute your assets in trust to your children however you wish. Name one of your children as executor. Now the heirs can either rent out the house and keep it as investment or sell it and divide up the equity.
Take advantage of a couple of those free seminars and free lunches for seniors that are offered so you can give yourself a little financial education.
Do not tell your children what is in your will. It is none of their business and is a poor idea.

C

Carol Goode

Thank you so very much for your helpful advice. I didn't want this to be a Probate matter. I will get busy and find an attorney, as you suggested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">