• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Escrow asking for more money after close

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

strimble

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this problem I'm having. I've already closed on the purchase of my condo, but escrow is now asking for more money. Yesterday morning I recieved a call saying I owe a certain dollar ammount for the impound account, funding fees, and doc prep fees. I called the title company and asked for a break down in costs for these fees that I supposedly still owe and the impound account. The funny thing is, when I got this break down, it didn't equal the ammount that was given earlier. I also talked to my lender and they couldn't get to that same ammount either. So, I'm getting pretty suspicious now. I looked at the closing documents and found that I DID pay the funding fee that they're asking for again. I also paid the same ammount of a doc prep fee to the title company, but the title company is now saying that I owe that ammount to the lender. Funny thing is, why should I have to pay for a doc prep fee if the documents weren't drawn up correctly anyways. Also, the ammount for the impound account doesn't make sense. It seems that it's 7 months of taxes to start the impound. The taxes are paid from the impound on November 1, 2002. I don't believe it's 7 months from now till November 7.
Is this legal? Should I get a real estate attorney to look into this for me? If so, can anyone recommend one in the San Jose area? Also, my title company and escrow are the same.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

You need to ask more questions like you are doing and demand a written response so you understand the fees and costs.
In a transaction such as yours, it is common to be charged document preparation fee twice.
One fee for the mortgage loan docs which is a lender fee and the other is title transfer docs which is an escrow/title fee. These fees and cherges for the respective companies to pay an attorney to draw or prepare the docs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">