• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Escrow Blunder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

ksfolden

What is the name of your state? Washington

I closed on my house in December of 2001 and made first payment in February of 2002. Financed 30 yr. fixed rate. My mortgage company sold mortgage to another bank. When I received statement from new mortgage holder, my payment had increased $250 per month. I was already in an uncomfortable mortgage and this just escalated that discomfort. When I called the original lender to ask what happened I was told that my taxes must have increased. I said not that much!! I called the tax assessor's office and found out that they had increased $170 for the entire year equating to about $15 per month. I then called the Title company that closed the loan and discovered that the lender had mis-calculated my taxes to be paid annually instead of semi-annually. This made my escrow account go into a deficit when disbursements were made in April. This bank error has significantly impacted me. I have had the house on the market for ten months now and now am considering a short-sell of the property. The lender just says there is nothing they can do. This mistake was not my fault, but I am the one holding the bag. Is there anything I can do? I think they were negligent and this was not a tiny mistake they made on the truth in lending statement. Help!!

HomeGuru

ksfolden said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

I closed on my house in December of 2001 and made first payment in February of 2002. Financed 30 yr. fixed rate. My mortgage company sold mortgage to another bank. When I received statement from new mortgage holder, my payment had increased $250 per month. I was already in an uncomfortable mortgage and this just escalated that discomfort. When I called the original lender to ask what happened I was told that my taxes must have increased. I said not that much!! I called the tax assessor's office and found out that they had increased $170 for the entire year equating to about $15 per month. I then called the Title company that closed the loan and discovered that the lender had mis-calculated my taxes to be paid annually instead of semi-annually. This made my escrow account go into a deficit when disbursements were made in April. This bank error has significantly impacted me. I have had the house on the market for ten months now and now am considering a short-sell of the property. The lender just says there is nothing they can do. This mistake was not my fault, but I am the one holding the bag. Is there anything I can do? I think they were negligent and this was not a tiny mistake they made on the truth in lending statement. Help!!
**A: could you possibly share some blame in some way. Before you signed the mortgage docs, you should have known what your monthly P&I mortgage paymetn would be. How much were the real property taxes at that time per year. Did you take the total yearly taxes and say divide by 12 (months in the year) to get the estimated monthly tax amount?
I do not understand how you calculated this. Please explain.

Last edited:
K

ksfolden

Share the Blame

You make a point about I should have known, but I had not lived here that long when I took over the house from my husband. We were going through a divorce at the time.

I trusted the lender to represent accurate numbers. When closing on the house, I was looking at the bottom and line and could I afford the payment, not every line item.

I do think that the responsibility should be shared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">