• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evict non-rent paying/nor asked to pay rent adult child-

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mepistalu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I let my daughter return "for a few days" in August 2009- history-
Nov 2007 she moved in with me after getting evicted-(she has 4 wonderful kids- which she uses to get me to help her) during which time she stole credit cards and ran up a bill of 5K - I did not report her because- because i was stupid- she promised to pay - moved over the summer of 2008- said she had a job out of town- lived in a hotel out of town worked for maybe 3 weeks- leaving the kids alone in the hotel- (oldest 15 at the time). called being evicted from hotel- drove 3 hours and picked her and kids up- the kids again being the motivation- let her stay for short time- moved out with another single mom-sounded like a good idea for both of them- oldest boy stayed here to go to same high school- she got kicked out, moved to another friend, got kicked out - moved to another friend- got help from Housing, lived in hotel- got kicked out- lived in another hotel- got kicked out- I got her into a VA housing program- promised to get off methadone (addicted to vocodine after a knee injury). got kicked out- move in with me for a few days while she waits for placement in program- refuses all placement offers- now i want to "kick her out" and I have no rights- she has taken over my home- I have to spend money to get her out- which she very bluntly tells me to "go ahead- it will take you a "f$#@ing" year to get me out of here- Additionally my 21 year old son lives here- who she fights with constantly- accuses him of stealing her stuff- she she actually has filed a police report- or two, she has call police numerous times- (she is an amazing actress- I was actually removed from my home at gunpoint after one call to police- I have no idea what she said but there are no weapons in this home- a paring knife is as big as it gets- She has accused my son's girlfriend of stealing her underwear- the girlfriend maybe weighs 100 lbs - maybe 5 ft 1 in- my daughter weighs close to 250 lbs and is 5ft 8in. Now my son won't even come home until I get her out- partially because he can't stand to be around her and her crazy behavior- and partially because he does not want her to call the cops on him again. they already have a court date. His girlfriend has already gone to court- where my husband went with her and talked to the judge and the DA explaining the situation and the charges were dropped.

Up until a week ago I kept possession of her EBT (food stamp) card- because historically 2.5-3 weeks into the month- there was no food- nor any funds left on the card- there was however, as much candy and soda as one would want. I gave it back to her after she argued and cursed all day- i finally was tired of managing her life for her- I realized I was an enabler- so, Up until a week ago- I prepared all the meals for the kids- got them up for school- took them school- picked them up from school- last week I stopped- life was easy for her- she only had to get her methadone once a week-now they are eating fast foods 95% of the time.

why can't I get her out- she needs mental health services- she is destroying the kids-
last year they were all failing (except the oldest who was with me) they missed 69 - 75 days of school- constant calls to the home regarding discipline issues-

even with all the mess she causes- this year they have not missed a day of school (except the little one- my daughter told me she would take her to school on one occasion- and she did not get up to walk her 2 blocks to school- then another the child's father came to get her and she told him she was already gone and she did not send her then). When I returned home from work and did not find the child at school- she told me her dad had picked her up- in reality she had the child hiding in the closet all afternoon- so she would not have to tell me she did not take her to school.

she tells the kids to stay away from me- that I am bad- (yeah I am so bad that I have provided safe, warm/cool secure housing- prepare a meal for you, take you to school when the mother would only curse you for waking her- taken you to the doctor/dentist- church.... etc- you get the picture- yeah thats just how bad I am-

And did I mention- I am an Executive Director for a 98 million dollar a year business providing mental health and substance abuse treatment services to adolescents, children, adults and families- where she can get treatment for free- in any of over 30 locations nationwide-

Now how do I get her out of my home with as minimal damage to the children as possible?

What about the false police reports? can I do anything about this? (this is not the first- she scratched herself all over her neck, back, face and arms- and superficially stabbed her self in the stomach and call police and told them her estranged husband did it)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mepistalu

children's fathers

She has 3 fathers the eldest is out of state- he sends Child Support- but somehow it never arrives-he communicates with the child- via text and face book- send $ occasionally for special occasions.
the two in the middle - father out of state- no communications or financial support.
youngest' father is in town helps me with his child and the other kids. takes them school- this week while I was out of town- has regular visits with his child and takes the other kids along.

nextwife

If daughter had been receiving state aid, the CS paid now may be going toward repaying the state(s). Daughter is also responsible for providing support for herself and sharing in the support of her kids. Give 30 day notice in accordance with your state Landlord/Tenant laws and evict her irresponsible backside.

And stop enabling her leaching off others.

Banned_Princess

I'm just gonna cut this down alittle. it needs a small editing.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I let my daughter return "for a few days" in August 2009-

history-
Nov 2007 she moved in with me after getting evicted-(she has 4 wonderful kids- which she uses to get me to help her) during which time she stole credit cards and ran up a bill of 5K - I did not report her because- because i was stupid- she promised to pay - moved over the summer of 2008- said she had a job out of town- lived in a hotel out of town worked for maybe 3 weeks- leaving the kids alone in the hotel- (oldest 15 at the time). called being evicted from hotel- drove 3 hours and picked her and kids up- the kids again being the motivation- let her stay for short time- moved out with another single mom-sounded like a good idea for both of them- oldest boy stayed here to go to same high school- she got kicked out, moved to another friend, got kicked out - moved to another friend- got help from Housing, lived in hotel- got kicked out- lived in another hotel- got kicked out-

I got her into a VA housing program- promised to get off methadone (addicted to vocodine after a knee injury). got kicked out- move in with me for a few days while she waits for placement in program- refuses all placement offers-

now i want to "kick her out" and I have no rights- she has taken over my home- I have to spend money to get her out- which she very bluntly tells me to "go ahead- it will take you a "f$#@ing" year to get me out of here-

Additionally my 21 year old son lives here- who she fights with constantly- accuses him of stealing her stuff- she she actually has filed a police report- or two, she has call police numerous times- (she is an amazing actress- I was actually removed from my home at gunpoint after one call to police- I have no idea what she said but there are no weapons in this home- a paring knife is as big as it gets- She has accused my son's girlfriend of stealing her underwear- the girlfriend maybe weighs 100 lbs - maybe 5 ft 1 in- my daughter weighs close to 250 lbs and is 5ft 8in. Now my son won't even come home until I get her out- partially because he can't stand to be around her and her crazy behavior- and partially because he does not want her to call the cops on him again. they already have a court date. His girlfriend has already gone to court- where my husband went with her and talked to the judge and the DA explaining the situation and the charges were dropped.

Up until a week ago I kept possession of her EBT (food stamp) card- because historically 2.5-3 weeks into the month- there was no food- nor any funds left on the card- there was however, as much candy and soda as one would want.

I gave it back to her after she argued and cursed all day- i finally was tired of managing her life for her- I realized I was an enabler- so, Up until a week ago- I prepared all the meals for the kids- got them up for school- took them school- picked them up from school- last week I stopped- life was easy for her- she only had to get her methadone once a week-now they are eating fast foods 95% of the time.

All of this sounds like a lawyer needs to try to get custody of these kids

(you need a lawyer to try to get these kids from her.. you might want to try though.)

why can't I get her out- she needs mental health services- she is destroying the kids-

last year they were all failing (except the oldest who was with me) they missed 69 - 75 days of school- constant calls to the home regarding discipline issues-

even with all the mess she causes- this year they have not missed a day of school (except the little one- my daughter told me she would take her to school on one occasion- and she did not get up to walk her 2 blocks to school- then another the child's father came to get her and she told him she was already gone and she did not send her then). When I returned home from work and did not find the child at school- she told me her dad had picked her up- in reality she had the child hiding in the closet all afternoon- so she would not have to tell me she did not take her to school.
Really, you need to think about trying to do something to get the kids. Have you ever contacted CPS (equivalent?)

Now how do I get her out of my home with as minimal damage to the children as possible?
You can try to get her out, while trying to keep the kids. Maybe she'll give them to you, but it might be the only thing holding the mother to semi sane.

Whatever kick her out, try to keep the kids. you make enough, go out and consult with a lawyer.

What about the false police reports? can I do anything about this? (this is not the first- she scratched herself all over her neck, back, face and arms- and superficially stabbed her self in the stomach and call police and told them her estranged husband did it)What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
hearsay.

Go contact a local attorney tomorrow.

FarmerJ

If you dont have one get a bank box to store identity & credit info , get a post office box to use for ALL your mail so she wont have access to it and send to her the notice to get out as NW said. send the notice via confirmed mail delivery. Keep a copy and if she fails to get out it will be alot faster than she thinks , you will have to see the clerk of the court in your county and file to ask the courts to order her out. Make sure you go to the hearing and carry it out to the very end , if she refuses to leave by the time the court orders here to get out, in the very end sheriffs dept will carry out court order. LET them throw her out. Next time she cries for help to house the kids or feed the kids call social services let them become involved. It really will not take a year to get her out , it should be over with in less than two months if she really draws it out. ( maybe youll get lucky and she wont even show up for court ,automatic default where you win, or she will show up in court stoned and tweaking like a wild hibanchi dancer and judge will be the one to call social services)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">