• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

evicting pregnant women

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nwgirl1

What laws are there in Washington state pertaining to evicting a pregnant women on a month to month lease?

D

David J. Miller

Whether you are pregnant or not, you still have to perform according to the lease. If you do not perform according to the lease, i.e. pay rent on time, you can be evicted.

Since yours is a month-to-month lease, the landlord can evict you anytime for any reason so long as it's not retaliatory or based on prejudice.

I am not an attorney and I am not familiar with the laws in your state so check back for more info. from the attorneys on this sight. If they don't make additional comments, it's usually because they have nothing more to add to existing comments.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nwgirl1:
What laws are there in Washington state pertaining to evicting a pregnant women on a month to month lease?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are the reasons surrounding the eviction and is L the father?

T

Tracey

Are you being evicted or has L just given you notice that he's terminating your lease effective 11/1?

There are no laws saying pregnant women don't have to pay rent or follow the terms in the lease. However, if L is terminating the lease because you breached a term *other* than paying rent on time, you can ask the judge to stay the writ of restitution to give you a chance to find new housing. If your rent's current & you promise to follow the rules during the stay, the judge will probably grant it. Otherwise, the judge is supposed to tell the sheriff to boot you out within 10 days.

Go to your office supply store & buy an eviction kit. It will tell you how to fight the eviction properly. They're published by Washington Legal Forms Inc, I believe.

You can read the WA landlord tenant act in RCW 59.18.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 19, 2000).]

N

nwgirl1

I have been making partial payments for 16
months at the same apt. I tried to take in
payments as usual and was met with harrass-
ment and discriminatory remarks along with
"you need to pay it all or nothing". I am
7 months pregnant and have tried to make
payments as usual but, all of the sudden it
is not acceptable. Why now and why the sudden harrassment and rude comments? I feel
I am being dicriminated against that's why I
asked about any laws pertaining to pregnancy
and evictions. No landlord is not the father

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
What are the reasons surrounding the eviction and is L the father?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

N

nwgirl1

I have been paying rent as normal (partial
payments) for over 16 months. I tried to take them money same amount as usual and all
of the sudden it's "pay it all or nothing"
along with harrassment and discriminatory
remarks. This is why I asked about laws pertaining to evicting pregnant women - also
I was served an eviction notice on the 3rd
of the month and it's not even considered
late until after the 5th! I go to court on
the 26th. Any advice other than the obvious?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David J. Miller:
Whether you are pregnant or not, you still have to perform according to the lease. If you do not perform according to the lease, i.e. pay rent on time, you can be evicted.

Since yours is a month-to-month lease, the landlord can evict you anytime for any reason so long as it's not retaliatory or based on prejudice.

I am not an attorney and I am not familiar with the laws in your state so check back for more info. from the attorneys on this sight. If they don't make additional comments, it's usually because they have nothing more to add to existing comments.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

N

nwgirl1

I'm on a month to month w/L. I have a notice
to show cause on the 26th. L has not gave
any notice of wanting to terminate lease. He
gave us eviction notice "based" on we're not
paying the rent only we have tried to pay
monies that they refused to take (partial
payment). We have been making partials every
month for 16 months all of the sudden it is
not acceptable. Can he do this? His staff
is also harrassing us and verbally abusive.
my email is [email protected], shannon
and jesse wallace. Thanks for your advice.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Are you being evicted or has L just given you notice that he's terminating your lease effective 11/1?

There are no laws saying pregnant women don't have to pay rent or follow the terms in the lease. However, if L is terminating the lease because you breached a term *other* than paying rent on time, you can ask the judge to stay the writ of restitution to give you a chance to find new housing. If your rent's current & you promise to follow the rules during the stay, the judge will probably grant it. Otherwise, the judge is supposed to tell the sheriff to boot you out within 10 days.

Go to your office supply store & buy an eviction kit. It will tell you how to fight the eviction properly. They're published by Washington Legal Forms Inc, I believe.

You can read the WA landlord tenant act in RCW 59.18.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">