• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicting renter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gwen

I have a signed contract with a student in Utah to rent a room of a condo. The initial check he gave me for Aug, Sept rent and security deposit bounced. I have begun eviction and have received no rent for Oct. Must I go through the legal process or since I have received no money from him is he really considered a tenant?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gwen:
I have a signed contract with a student in Utah to rent a room of a condo. The initial check he gave me for Aug, Sept rent and security deposit bounced. I have begun eviction and have received no rent for Oct. Must I go through the legal process or since I have received no money from him is he really considered a tenant?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is considered a legal tenant because he signed the contract. He is a legal tenant that just has not paid any deposit or rent. You must legally evict him in accordance with the State L/T laws. Next time make sure the first payment (rent and security deposit) is in cash or cashier's check before you hand over the keys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">