• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobby w.

My landlord wrote to me at beginning of month (6/1)informing me that he needed the apartment for his elderly and infirm mother and wished for me to vacate by month end (6/30). I've been renting from him on a month to month with no lease (his idea)for five years. I replied in writing and asked that he kindly give us (family of 4)till 11/1. He agreed on the condition that the rent go up 55% to meet fair market value until 11/1 when we vacate. I can't afford this amount and he's retured my check for the month of July. What do you advise?
I live in Brooklyn New York.

Thank you in advance.

M

MEEE

WELL BOBBY:

Unless you live in a building that has 6 or more apartments..(it could be rent stabilized) then you'd better start packing today...and have a BIG YARD sale to raise the needed cash to move....

Take some sick days and vacation days and get on the phone at 7am calling everywhere for an apartment. Its NOT a good idea to go to work, finding a place is terrible.

Best best: move to Queens.. Sunnyside or Woodside, right off the 7 train or G&R trains.

Thats what you get for NOT having a Lease

The landlord has done NOTHING ILLEGAL in NYC.

-------------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bobby w.:
My landlord wrote to me at beginning of month (6/1)informing me that he needed the apartment for his elderly and infirm mother and wished for me to vacate by month end (6/30). I've been renting from him on a month to month with no lease (his idea)for five years. I replied in writing and asked that he kindly give us (family of 4)till 11/1. He agreed on the condition that the rent go up 55% to meet fair market value until 11/1 when we vacate. I can't afford this amount and he's retured my check for the month of July. What do you advise?
I live in Brooklyn New York.

Thank you in advance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">