• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

eviction,no lease.ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lgimpypoet

my landlord has evicted me.she gave me three days notice.we have no lease.she would only take cash for rent.she never gave receipts.is the eviction legal?we rent from month to month.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lgimpypoet:
my landlord has evicted me.she gave me three days notice.we have no lease.she would only take cash for rent.she never gave receipts.is the eviction legal?we rent from month to month.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the reason for the eviction? Depending on the reasons for eviction and applicable State L/T law, the 3 days notice may be insufficient. It is not against the law for her to accept cash but she must give a cash receipt. Without the receipts you have no evidence that you paid your rental payments.

T

Tracey

L must give T notice of intent to terminate the lease at least 30 days before T's next rent payment is due (30 days before 8/1), UNLESS L has actual knowledge or reasonable belief that T or T's guest has violated a controlled substance law while on the leased premises. [5321.17] "Actual knowlede or reasonable belief" if either police have executed a serach warrant for drugs & found them & notified L they found drugs, OR a court determines after a hearing that T more likely than not violated drug laws. If police haven't caught you with drugs at home, L can't evict you on 3 days notice.

I couldn't find any law requiring L to give you a receipt for cash rent payments. However, if L has always demanded cash and you've been there for some months, L will have a hard time arguing that you haven't paid any rent the whole time. I hope you can produce some sort of bank records showing that you withdrew the rent money in cash every month just before rent was due.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">