• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction of Tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmcline

I am the owner of a single-family home and a condo that I currently rent out. I am in the state of Virginia. My tenant has failed to pay October's Rent, was late the last two months August and SEptember and bounced a check with July's payment. She did pay the bounced check fees and gave me cash after the bounce. I sent an eviction letter yesterday via certified mail. She is notified to be out of property by Nov 11. Do
What are my righhts if she does not vacate premises. Also, I have called her several times and she has not returned my calls. She had someone call from a lawyer's office yesterday threatening to sue me for harassment. Can she do this. I do not think a lawyer would have a secretary call to tell me not to call the tenant. No threat was made, I just asked if she would be paying the rent. Thanks for any help. TMC

D

David J. Miller

I do not know how to answer your question as I am not an attorney. Just a quick comment. I'd call her bluff on the attoreny phone call. Unless you live in Yemin, I don't think attorneys generally make phone calls in-lieau of a letter.

T

Tracey

You are allowed to call her as long as your intent is to collect your rent & not to harrass her. You can't call her at work or talk to third parties, nor can you call more than every other day or so.

Why did you give her until 11/11 to leave? You can send her a demand to pay rent (and late fees) or leave within 5 days. 55-225. Then you evict her under Title 8.01, chapter 3 (8.01-124 et seq.). You might be able to buy an eviction kit at an office supply store that will have all the necessary forms & instructions for doing the eviction yourself.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">