• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex is on the deed and will not sell home...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LMarie72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was in a domestic partnership for 6 years and it ended due to a domestic violence incident. I purchased a home and my ex's name was on the deed. Prior to the incident we agreed to sell so after she was in rehab I tried to keep things civil so she would still want to sell. She is still using and has given me a lot of red flags and I do not feel safe so I had a protective order put in place which she is fighting. Due to the protective order she decided to contact the realtor and stop the sale of the house. I already have been doing everything and paying everything in regards to the house. My ex is not even on the mortgage. I am scheduled to move on a lease and planned to sell while not living in the house. By her stopping the sale i will not only be responsible for the mortgage but my lease. She is trying to force me into a foreclosure because she is angry I will not let her see our adopted daughter who I am the legal parent of.

First, because she is only on the deed and I am financially responsible for the house can I rent it out to make up the difference of the mortgage while I try to legally get her to sell the home? Do I have to have her permission to rent it out if she is only on the deed?

Second, is there a way since I am the one on the loan to get out of this situation. Do I quick claim the deed to someone else? How would I sell my portion if I am the one financially responsible to the loan?

Lastly, I was told by someone that sometimes in domestic violence issues there is a way the law can force the other person to sell due to the threat of violence. Is this true? And if this is the case what steps do I have to take to make this happen.

Ultimately I want out of any agreements with this person and I am stuck because the loan is in my name and they are holding control over me by not wanting to sell even when it is in their benefit financially to sell.

LMarie72

first time buyer loan

Why is she on the deed and not on the mortgage?
She had her own foreclosure and I got a first time buyer loan. We were in a long term commitment so I felt since we were technically both putting in on the house and responsible it was only fair to put her on the deed. But now I am the one losing out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She had her own foreclosure and I got a first time buyer loan. We were in a long term commitment so I felt since we were technically both putting in on the house and responsible it was only fair to put her on the deed. But now I am the one losing out.
Did you add her to the deed AFTER you bought the house, or during the purchase process?

LMarie72

during...

Did you add her to the deed AFTER you bought the house, or during the purchase process?
I put her on during the process...so I am under the assumption she does have rights but I am financially responsible and feel I am being controlled and held hostage at her will. It's truly unfair.

Zigner

I put her on during the process...so I am under the assumption she does have rights but I am financially responsible and feel I am being controlled and held hostage at her will. It's truly unfair.
You went in to it with eyes wide open. You knew you were making her an OWNER of the house. Another viewpoint is that it is unfair to try to take away something that is hers. If you can't make this work amicably (I'd suggest offering to pay her off), then you may need to file a partition suit.

LMarie72

unfair in the sense of the use of control

You went in to it with eyes wide open. You knew you were making her an OWNER of the house. Another viewpoint is that it is unfair to try to take away something that is hers. If you can't make this work amicably (I'd suggest offering to pay her off), then you may need to file a partition suit.
I knew there was possibilities of issues it goes with any risk one takes.There is a restraining order so this person can not even come to the property ever again even after I vacate the property because it is listed on the protective order. If she doesn't want to sell and she is on the deed can't I rent it out to make up the difference for the mortgage?

And....she can't force me to be an owner but since I am the sole person on the mortgage how do I buy her out? Do I write up a contract that states if she quick claims the deed I will give her ex amount of dollars once the home sells?

FlyingRon

The word is "quit claim" and if your domestic partnership was an officially recognized one, you're going to need an attorney. Even an ad hoc shacking up together is likely to need a lawyer.
Yes, it's not uncommon in divorces to defer the payment of a marital share until the house is actually sold even though a deed is executed immediately.

Zigner

The word is "quit claim" and if your domestic partnership was an officially recognized one, you're going to need an attorney. Even an ad hoc shacking up together is likely to need a lawyer.
Yes, it's not uncommon in divorces to defer the payment of a marital share until the house is actually sold even though a deed is executed immediately.
Actually, the other party would be foolish to sign a quit claim at any point prior to the cash arriving in their account. Not literally...if it's done as part of a legitimate sale of the property (ie: using an escrow company, etc.,) then the quit-claim would be signed prior to closing and held for filing, as appropriate.

Zigner

I knew there was possibilities of issues it goes with any risk one takes.There is a restraining order so this person can not even come to the property ever again even after I vacate the property because it is listed on the protective order. If she doesn't want to sell and she is on the deed can't I rent it out to make up the difference for the mortgage?
If you truly vacate the property, then it may be possible to have the protective order amended. Just sayin'...

LMarie72

vacate property...

If you truly vacate the property, then it may be possible to have the protective order amended. Just sayin'...
Why would I want the protective order amended? She is not upset about not being able to go to the property she is upset the protective order has my daughter on it and she can't see her...and even if it were lifted she still will not see her....

What I would like is to not be in this home ownership with her any longer and by her not agreeing to sell I am forced to financially be responsible for two payments. Or foreclose the house.

Zigner

Why would I want the protective order amended?
Not you, HER. If you move to a new residence, then it's entirely possible for her to have the protective order amended to cover your new residence and allow her access to her property.

Zigner

What I would like is to not be in this home ownership with her any longer and by her not agreeing to sell I am forced to financially be responsible for two payments. Or foreclose the house.
Your options were given above. Feel free to consult with an attorney.

LMarie72

thank you....and

Your options were given above. Feel free to consult with an attorney.
I appreciate your insight thank you...I guess I have no real options other than getting a lawyer which would only take the difference in what I am to profit on the house....not liking my options.

Would I not be able to maybe quit claim the deed over to a family member and force her to have to deal with them on the sell of the house? Or can I sell my half of the house to someone else so I can get out of the deal?

Zigner

I appreciate your insight thank you...I guess I have no real options other than getting a lawyer which would only take the difference in what I am to profit on the house....not liking my options.

Would I not be able to maybe quit claim the deed over to a family member and force her to have to deal with them on the sell of the house? Or can I sell my half of the house to someone else so I can get out of the deal?
I am sure that your mortgage contract won't allow those schemes. Besides, why would you want to dump this problem on a relative? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">