• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Owner From Hell-The Plot Thickens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Montana

I posted here recently about the problems we've been having with the previous owner of our home in Illinois. I've been meeting with attorney's and I believe I may have found one that can handle this mess.
There have been many things about this purchase that are now really bothering me. For example, the house appraised for $80,000 even though my husband and I felt it couldn't be worth that much. The realtor just kept insiting that this is because we have a double lot and a guest house ( which is totally inhabitable). What would happen if we got the home reappraised and it came out to be worth considerably less?
Also, I've been having estimates done for the waterproofing work needed in my basement. They're running anywhere from $4200-$7000. The company I would want to use is estimating their work to cost around $5700- could the previous owner force us to use someone cheaper who probably will not do the job right? The rotten flooring estimates are coming in from anywhere to $1200-$3000, also.
The attorney's I've spoken to have all pretty much said the same thing- it's going to be really tough, expensive, and stressful. Are there any web sites that I can look up old cases similar to this in Illinois to try to see if it's even worth it? I've been to Findlaw.com but I guess I don't have a handle on the boolean context. Thanks!

T

Tracey

Your most efficient way of finding this info is to make a trip to the nearest law school that has Westlaw accounts it will let the public use & throw yourself on the mercy of the helpful librarian. (U of I Champaign had some when I was there.) You might also find a law student who looks bored & ask him/her to help you do a Westlaw search of IL law.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">