• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-spouse not selling home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Educator42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Divorced in 9/2006, home that we lived in for 7 years was to be put up for sale per our divorce paperwork. Ex lives in the home. Home was put up for sale but no buyer due to condition of home and depressed market. Ex would like me to sign papers for him to assume loan and supposedly he filed paperwork to see if this could be approved. I haven't heard anything from him for months. He has since remarried this year and is living in the home. Do I have any rights in this situation? The house is no longer on the market, they aren't suggesting buying me out by refinancing in their names (their incomes are enough to qualify for a refinance). They are fixing up the home and plan to live there.

I'd prefer to see some type of small buyout although I'll settle for an assumption that removes my name from the loan obligation. He doesn't pay alimony per my choice so it's not like he's missing any income because of the divorce. I barely make a livable wage so going back to court will be a financial stretch if not impossibility.

How do I get this home off my credit history so that someday I may be able to buy a house of my own without having to declare this huge financial obligation I'm pretty much powerless to cure?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">