• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exhusband attached to mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deannafabre

I am divorced. My exhusband is still on mortgage.
How can I get him to give me his share or get his name off of mortgage without selling?

W

weekendnotary

Since you're in louisiana, i thought i could help. couple of questions, when you say "mortgage", what exactly do you mean. in louisiana, a mortgage is only a security interest in immovable property, if he signed it, then that meant he *was* part owner at that time and granted the bank/lender that mortgage. there is no real disadvantage to having him on that that i can think of, in fact, it's probably be problems if he wasn't and he was your husband at the time. even if you are thinking about the promissory note, that would make the signers liable on the note, it doesn't really give either one of you rights in the property. if you're talking about that he is on the title, then that depends on whether it was community property or separate, if y'all did a partition, and other issues.

HomeGuru

deannafabre said:
I am divorced. My exhusband is still on mortgage.
How can I get him to give me his share or get his name off of mortgage without selling?
My response: what did the divorce decree property distribution state with respect to this property?
If you were given the property in the divorce, then you should have refinanced the mortgage in your name only to take ex off title.

D

deannafabre

I don't think there were any stipulations on the property. I will have to look up my divorce papers. I have talked to the mortgage company about refiancing, but since the divorce, I have not been able to stay current on my loan, therefore they are not willing to work with me.
Is that my only option?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">