• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exhusband signed quit claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ajpeterson

What is the name of your state? Illinois
When my husband I decided to get divorced, he fought me for the house. He told me I would never get my share of the equity for it and after 2 years of going to court ( his lawyer would not show up or my ex would not show up, which caused much of the delay) we were finally divorced. It stated in the decree that he was to refinance within 60 days and give me my share of the equity. He failed to do that. His reason being " it's too much work to refinance". He also said that the tenants living in the property were under a "rent to own" contract. He said to "just let them buy the house".
Well throughout the 2 years of divorce court these same tenants were in the property and had not made one step towards ownership. Furthermore, the house was in shambles, NOTHING was being maintained. Bear with me...
I decided I would move back into the house and make improvements and sell it. Well this was not acceptable to my ex.I stated to him that I would be more than happy to give him his share of the equity, that I just wanted to get this OVER WITH.
He finally agreed. I found a refinance company and signed the papers. My ex went in and signed a Quit Claim.
I have since been slowly improving the house to improve the sale value and still intended to give him his half of the equity. UNTIL, he recentely started calling me and demanding his money. I tried to reassure him that he knows I would give him his money. He insisted that this process has taken too long and now wants to take me back to court.
I think I do not have any legal responsibility to him anymore. I did not FORCE him to sign a Quit Claim and if I really wanted to be greedy, I would not have promised him any of the equity after he signed the Quit Claim. Does he really have any legitimate reason to take me back to court? If he continues to harrass me, calling on the phone, coming to the house and just taking whatever he wants when I am not home, why should I bother giving him any of the money? A Quit Claim is a Quit Claim, I don't think I HAVE to give him anything if I don't want to.

HomeGuru

ajpeterson said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
When my husband I decided to get divorced, he fought me for the house. He told me I would never get my share of the equity for it and after 2 years of going to court ( his lawyer would not show up or my ex would not show up, which caused much of the delay) we were finally divorced. It stated in the decree that he was to refinance within 60 days and give me my share of the equity. He failed to do that. His reason being " it's too much work to refinance". He also said that the tenants living in the property were under a "rent to own" contract. He said to "just let them buy the house".
Well throughout the 2 years of divorce court these same tenants were in the property and had not made one step towards ownership. Furthermore, the house was in shambles, NOTHING was being maintained. Bear with me...
I decided I would move back into the house and make improvements and sell it. Well this was not acceptable to my ex.I stated to him that I would be more than happy to give him his share of the equity, that I just wanted to get this OVER WITH.
He finally agreed. I found a refinance company and signed the papers. My ex went in and signed a Quit Claim.
I have since been slowly improving the house to improve the sale value and still intended to give him his half of the equity. UNTIL, he recentely started calling me and demanding his money. I tried to reassure him that he knows I would give him his money. He insisted that this process has taken too long and now wants to take me back to court.
I think I do not have any legal responsibility to him anymore. I did not FORCE him to sign a Quit Claim and if I really wanted to be greedy, I would not have promised him any of the equity after he signed the Quit Claim. Does he really have any legitimate reason to take me back to court? If he continues to harrass me, calling on the phone, coming to the house and just taking whatever he wants when I am not home, why should I bother giving him any of the money? A Quit Claim is a Quit Claim, I don't think I HAVE to give him anything if I don't want to.

**A: get real.

A

ajpeterson

quit claim

You say "GET REAL" .
I would like to know how you think I should "Get Real"???? You tell me. Maybe I did not stipulate clearly in my letter.

HomeGuru

Re: quit claim

ajpeterson said:
You say "GET REAL" .
I would like to know how you think I should "Get Real"???? You tell me. Maybe I did not stipulate clearly in my letter.

**A: stop playing games. You owe him his equity so either pay him off or sell the property. He can file for partition and force you to comply with one or the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">