• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failing to record a future interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petertwo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

So basically I've just discovered that the future interest I hold in certain land was never recorded. Although this occurred about 20 years ago, the lawyer at the time failed to correctly record it. The land, however, is still vested in the original owner. Can I record/register the reverter now or has the statute of limitations passed?

tranquility

I'm a little confused as well. Wasn't the interest in the deed (perhaps implied) itself? Or, was the life estate granted in a trust document?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

So basically I've just discovered that the future interest I hold in certain land was never recorded. Although this occurred about 20 years ago, the lawyer at the time failed to correctly record it. The land, however, is still vested in the original owner. Can I record/register the reverter now or has the statute of limitations passed?
**A: you need to explain what this future interest is all about and the instrument used to convey such interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">