• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family estate breaks up the family!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DI

My Dad inherited 50% interest in the family real estate in 1980. When my grandmother died this year, his five brothers and sisters inherited the other 50%. The land was never divided into specific parcels. And that is the problem. Five of the six siblings (90% of land interest) agree on how to divide the land but the sixth brother is intent on being a burr in the side of all of his siblings due to past events. What can be done now to settle this? Can the five file suit to make the sixth brother sell his share?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DI:
My Dad inherited 50% interest in the family real estate in 1980. When my grandmother died this year, his five brothers and sisters inherited the other 50%. The land was never divided into specific parcels. And that is the problem. Five of the six siblings (90% of land interest) agree on how to divide the land but the sixth brother is intent on being a burr in the side of all of his siblings due to past events. What can be done now to settle this? Can the five file suit to make the sixth brother sell his share? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not the others offer to buy him out at a price he can not refuse. A suit to force him to sell will not accomplish the goal since he has a right to refuse to sell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">