• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Home Ownership Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

ddman1

My mother in law and I bought a house together in the state of Washington. My wife didn't get on the title because of her bad credit. All 3 of us put 1/3 down each which amounted to $2000 each. Anyways, we did get the house and agreed to pay 1/3 of the mortgage and utilities since there are 3 people involved (me, my wife and my mother in law). One month after living in the house, my mother in law met someone and is having a relationship with him. She is thinking about moving out, which will leave my wife and I to take care of the mortgage and the utilities.

The question is, she now expects when and if my wife and I sell the house to get the down payment back ($2000) that she put down. Does she have the right to get that down payment back and if she doesn't "contribute" to the mortgage, does she have any claims to the house even though her name is on it? What's the best thing for me to do at this point?

S

smartin80

I suggest that you pay mom in law $2000 and have her sign a quit-claim deed, giving up her ownership of the house. Otherwise, she will be entitled to a share of any appreciation if and when you sell.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">