• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family owned land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wiseone0360

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
30 years ago my Mom, brother and I purchased some land for 6000.00 in Cusik, Wa. I paid on it for only a short time and then they took over the payments. It was put in my brother's name only. My Mom had since passed and now my brother is going to sell it. He is taking 57% and my other brother, sister getting 8% and I am getting 19%. My other brother, sister and I have helped my Mom build a cabin, put in phone/electricity, pump house, rebiult it after a flood, saved it from another flood, maintained it the land. While the brother that has it in his name has done nothing. We've put a fair amount money into this property also. He never said a thing about all the improvements that we did. Now, he is telling us that we can have anything that is attached to this cabin or land. it's in his name and we need to ask him permission. I believe that he set a presedense in the years before my Mom died and he needs to stay to it. The idea in purchasing the land in the first place was my Mom wanted to retire and live there and have a place for her family to go too in the woods. Shouldn't my my brother share the land value equal with each of us, since he is going to sell it? Or can we stop him selling it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">