• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father-in-law says loan not paid in full

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CHart

Illinois - My uncle borrowed money from his dad to pay off his house with the understanding that he would pay back what he borrowed plus interest. They opened up an account at the bank for the payments to go directly into and called it the house account. My uncle made double and triple payments plus interest so he would be done early. The final payment was to be made in 1998 if he only made one payment a month. In December of 2001 my uncle was hit by a car and has severe brain damage. In March of 2002 his dad came to my aunt and told her the house had never been paid off and that she owed him or he wanted the house. She went to the bank (small town bank) and they told her they don't have records back that far. How can that be? I thought a bank had to have records of every transaction that goes through there? She has cancelled checks, but they were never signed by her father-in-law, just an account number was put on them (to go directly into the house account). Is there anything she can do? This is such a mess and I'm afraid my aunt is going to have a nervous breakdown. Please let me know if you can what her options would be. Thank you!:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">