• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty Septic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Masthera

my husband and i bought a house in maryland about a year and a half ago. we had a septic inspection but trusted it to the realtor to take care of. 6 months after moving in we had to get the septic tank pumped again (had it pumped before settlement)because it backed up into the shower. we had roto rooter come out and they told us that our drainfield was not functioning correctly, that the septic had a second compartment that he could not get to to pump, and that the tank did not have a baffold (? spelling). i contacted the realtor when i realized that we had never been given the actual septic inspection report and asked to see it. when i did finally see the report all it had was a comment saying "should pass after being pumped". this to me is not a passing report. we went FHA for the mortgage figuring that that would help protect us. we now have to pump the septic tank every 3.5 months because we do not have the money to fix it. we feel frauded. the realtor never said anything and in hind sight it is obvious (to a trained professional) that there is a problem because the yard on top of the drainfield has dips that are gradually getting worse (hard to mow). and when roto rooter dug into one it was filled with sewage. I have contacted FHA and that got me no where
My question is: is there anything legally that we can do?
thank you for any help

M

Masthera

Do you know whether you can use any lawyer or are there specific lawyers that can handle cases involving real estate?
thanks!

JETX

You can use any licensed attorney, but should look for one certified in real estate law to improve your chances (and not have to pay for his/her 'learning curve').

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Halket is correct and to add further, find a real estate attorney that specializes in defending Buyers in real estate property condition disclosure cases and has a successful track record of prevailing in such cases.

M

Masthera

homeguru
How can i find a lawyer that fills this description. i have been looking and everyone that i have contacted does not deal with real estate law much and they tell me to keep looking. we have just found out that in order to put in a new septic system we might have to buy some land from the farmer who owns the field next to us due to the lack of property that we have and the position of our well. Lots of Money! also one of the neighbors has stated that the old owner had problems before. how can we prove this?
this is turning into a real nightmare.
thanks in advance

JETX

Contact your county or state Bar Association. Most of them provide attorney referral services, usually by specialty or practice. That will be your first step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">