• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Faulty septic system not disclosed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

soonerdeb

I live in California. My husband and I purchased a home about 18 mos. ago, following all of the appropriate inspections, etc. before closing. We are currently trying to sell our home, and have recently encountered some septic seepage in our backyard. We had the system pumped about 2 months ago, at which time the company did not re-inspect the pump, but said that it should not have caused waste and water to seep to the surface of my lawn. From this experience we have learned that some of our neighbors who knew the previous owners told our realtor that our septic system has always worked improperly. This was never disclosed by the sellers to us. The pump passed on the day of inspection, but this could be because the seller's pumped it or added chemicals to it right before inspection. I have also learned that the sellers even consulted with a neighbor who owns a waste company about the problem. This could end up costing us thousands to repair, and I don't think it is fair that we should end up eating this cost since it wasn't disclosed. Do we have rights to go after the previous sellers? What if we cannot find them? What if our neighbors who have said that they knew the pump to be bad don't want to testify? HELP! Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">