• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fiance's mother changed locks on apartment...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arioch107

My fiance rented an apartment whos lease is up on July 1, 2000. This past weekend, her mother came to visit, and while my fiance was away at work, moved all of her things to Dolton (her house), and changed the locks (puchased a lock and dead bolt from Sears or somewhere else). I have things in the apartment also, and her mother will not let anyone in the apartment, me, my fiance, or the rental office personel, into the apartment. My fiance's mother co-signed on the lease, because of some payment issue. My fiance put $8000 down on the apartment, and her mother helped with a couple of the payments since they accepted the apartment. Her mother did not give the rental office a key for the store bought lock. My fiance is now living at her mother's home in Dolton, IL, but wants to move back the apartment. Her mother says no. My fiance is 22 years old, and a legal adult. What can we do to get back into the apartment. Obviously we can get a locksmith to pop the locks and have the rental office install a new "rental" lock system in, but can we get her mother off the lease?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arioch107:
My fiance rented an apartment whos lease is up on July 1, 2000. This past weekend, her mother came to visit, and while my fiance was away at work, moved all of her things to Dolton (her house), and changed the locks (puchased a lock and dead bolt from Sears or somewhere else). I have things in the apartment also, and her mother will not let anyone in the apartment, me, my fiance, or the rental office personel, into the apartment. My fiance's mother co-signed on the lease, because of some payment issue. My fiance put $8000 down on the apartment, and her mother helped with a couple of the payments since they accepted the apartment. Her mother did not give the rental office a key for the store bought lock. My fiance is now living at her mother's home in Dolton, IL, but wants to move back the apartment. Her mother says no. My fiance is 22 years old, and a legal adult. What can we do to get back into the apartment. Obviously we can get a locksmith to pop the locks and have the rental office install a new "rental" lock system in, but can we get her mother off the lease?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

What did you do to pissssssssssssss this woman off at you? It appears that your fiance is a bit of a Momma's Girl, wouldn't you agree? It also appears that Momma constructively evicted you. While you're looking for new digs, commence a lawsuit against Momma for theft and conversion of personal property. Insofar as the rent/lease is concerned, because of her actions, Momma's on the hook for that too because she's "on the lease." You may want to try a new girlfriend while you're at it - - I wouldn't want to marry into that family!!

Good luck to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">