• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

finding deed information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jptsr123

my father lives in maine and is disabled. i live in new york. my father would like to see the deeds of his neighbors but can't get to the county building. would they mail, e-mail or fax the information or do you have to go in person. what are the options if you can't get their.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jptsr123:
my father lives in maine and is disabled. i live in new york. my father would like to see the deeds of his neighbors but can't get to the county building. would they mail, e-mail or fax the information or do you have to go in person. what are the options if you can't get their.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why does he have to see actual copies of the actual deeds? If all he needs is the owners names, there are ways to get this info from the real property tax office. If he really needs copies of the deeds, he can order copies from a title company located in Maine.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 23, 2000).]

J

jptsr123

my father has a property dispute, has no survey, & does not want to get one. what will the real property tax office show. are they located at city hall. do they have surveys on file or other kinds of information. thanks

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jptsr123:
my father has a property dispute, has no survey, & does not want to get one. what will the real property tax office show. are they located at city hall. do they have surveys on file or other kinds of information. thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the property dispute involves a boundary, encroachment or similar issue that could possibly be resolved by a survey, your father can not be helped if he choses not to get a survey. I do not live in Maine so I cannot tell you if the real property tax office is located in City Hall. A survey map may or may not have been recorded with the deed. Call the City information office and make some inquiries. If you state the actual issues maybe we can be of greater assistance.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 23, 2000).]

J

jptsr123

my father owns 12 acres of land. he has 250 feet of frontage according to his deed. he has a creek going from the road at one end of his property. the neighbor has a driveway going to his home at this end. my father said the stake was on the other side of the neighbors drivway and that (he) my father owns the driveway,so many feet in past the creek, and lets the neighbor use it for the entrance to his driveway. my father and his brother always used it to get to their property on the other side of the creek. how can we find out who owns this. is a survey the only answer. is theirany records or information at the city hall or the register of deeds at the county building that will help in this matter. thanks

HomeGuru

my father owns 12 acres of land. he has 250 feet of frontage according to his deed. he has a creek going from the road at one end of his property. the neighbor has a driveway going to his home at this end. my father said the stake was on the other side of the neighbors drivway and that (he) my father owns the driveway,so many feet in past the creek, and lets the neighbor use it for the entrance to his driveway. my father and his brother always used it to get to their property on the other side of the creek. how can we find out who owns this. is a survey the only answer. is theirany records or information at the city hall or the register of deeds at the county building that will help in this matter. thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that you have provided the issues, we know how to respond.
You do not need a survey to find out who the owner is. You can find out by doing a search at the real property tax office, a title search via the deed, or have a real estate agent do a computer search.

Your father will need a current survey though, to determine if in fact the stake is in the correct location and if the plotting of the driveway is/was correct.

J

jptsr123

what will i find at the real estate tax office.(boundries,survey,etc.)

HomeGuru

what will i find at the real estate tax office.(boundries,survey,etc.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Per my first response to your post, you may find out the names of the property owners. Please call the respective governmental agencies and spend some time talking to them since they are really the people that can help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">