• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fire alarms in 4 story Philadelphia PA apartment required to contact fire department?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I live in a 4 story apartment complex in Philadelphia and the fire alarms often go off in the middle of the night or when it's raining/cold outside.

A call to the buildings emergency maintenance takes them 2-4 hours to respond to shut it off, during which time everyone must wait outside.

For the fire department to come, a tenant must call 9-1-1 to get them to come, but they can't shut it off until maintenance gets there anyways.

I asked the housing company why their alarms don't contact the fire department and they told me they don't have to. However, today someone else told me that they are required by law to contact the fire department in an apartment complex.

So I was wondering which is true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">