• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooded Basement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carjen

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I bought a property that was sub-divided and 8 houses are being built on the land around me. Due to the grading the natural flow of the water was diverted and ran back into my basement. The developer acknowledged responsibility, put my tenant up in a hotel, sent cleaning crews, paid for the damage to furniture and clothing. This problem continued for several more times, the last being end of March and he installed a sump pump. However he claims that the cause of that flooding was the contractor working for the builder ran over a pipe and damaged it to the extent where the water backed up into my basement and he is no longer responsible. Yet he paid for my tenant to stay in a hotel, sent a cleaning crew. He tells me I should have my insurance deal with it. My basement has mold and the apartment is totally a wreck. I had a microbiologist do some testing and she said that it will have to be sanitized and a lot of the walls, ducts etc demolished. I have pictures of everything and a list of all of the damage.

I am considering taking legal action but should I be doing this or should I be going through my insurance. I am concerned that my premium will go up when it is not my fault.

What is your advice on the situation and how should I proceed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">