• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida:Removing Deceased From Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

caribbeansoul

Lehigh Acres, Florida:

My parents purchased a lot in Lehigh Acres, Florida back in the mid seventies. The lot was paid for many years ago and there are no liens against the property. My mother passed away in 1999 and in her will, she left everything to my father. There is nothing to contest, no problems with the will. My father wants to go ahead and remove her name from the deed and I am trying to find out how we can do that by mail, from Georgia, without involving a lawyer. He is 71 years old and does not need to drive 700 miles to the Lee County courthouse to remove her name. Can someone tell we what form or document is necessary to accomplish this?

Thanks,

David

HomeGuru

caribbeansoul said:
Lehigh Acres, Florida:

My parents purchased a lot in Lehigh Acres, Florida back in the mid seventies. The lot was paid for many years ago and there are no liens against the property. My mother passed away in 1999 and in her will, she left everything to my father. There is nothing to contest, no problems with the will. My father wants to go ahead and remove her name from the deed and I am trying to find out how we can do that by mail, from Georgia, without involving a lawyer. He is 71 years old and does not need to drive 700 miles to the Lee County courthouse to remove her name. Can someone tell we what form or document is necessary to accomplish this?

Thanks,

David
**A: if title was held as joint tenants, father does not need to do anything.

C

caribbeansoul

What he wants to do is remove her name so when he sales the lot, he will not need additional documentation to sign it over to the new owner. He may not sell the lot and as his will leaves it to us three kids. He thinks it would just make everything easier to have it in just his name. We know there is no problems with him owning the property. I just can't seem to find what is necessary to make the change.

HomeGuru

caribbeansoul said:
What he wants to do is remove her name so when he sales the lot, he will not need additional documentation to sign it over to the new owner. He may not sell the lot and as his will leaves it to us three kids. He thinks it would just make everything easier to have it in just his name. We know there is no problems with him owning the property. I just can't seem to find what is necessary to make the change.
**A: I just can't find it either. I would if you read the deed and tell me how title to the property was held.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">